Alrighty here we go! Your first publication from the ground up. This week we are going to focus on your business card.
Setting Up Your Business Card:
1. Open up InDesign and go to File > New > Document.
2. Enter the following information into the dialogue box:
Your document will look like this:
The black border is where the business card would be cut if it is sent to the printer. The red indicates that we have set up a .25” bleed. Make sure to extend your background color to the red. The pink/purple box are our margins. Keep all important information (logo, text) within this space for safety!
3. Save, save, save your document. Then save again.
It is utmost importance that you save your work early and often. Save the file as an INDD. If you are not using your own computer, save it onto a thumb drive or external hard drive. Be sure to do the same thing with any other files that correspond with the publication (images, fonts, etc.).
4. Get to work!
Time to put all of your time from last weeks tutorials to work. Start by placing your logo and dropping in some of your important text.
Hopefully you spend a significant amount of time playing with your business card design. I want you to go ahead and post a draft of your work. Don’t worry if it is incomplete and not perfect. We will have a couple of weeks to complete this project. Write a brief reflection that follows the same format as last week:
1. What were you asked to do?
2. How did you respond to what you were asked to do?
3. How did react to what you actually did?
4. Now go one level deeper: Why do you think your reaction was what it was?
Tag your blog post “Reflection.”
Once you have published your blog post, submit the direct URL to complete the assignment.